COVE, the Centre for Ocean Ventures and Entrepreneurship, is a collaborative facility on the Halifax Harbour for applied innovation and commercialization in the ocean sector. Our incredible tenants are a mix of exciting new start-ups, growing innovative companies, researchers and large organizations looking for growth through innovation and collaboration. Already an important part of Nova Scotia and Canada’s economy, COVE propels the global ocean economy by providing marine infrastructure and a collaborative space where ocean enterprises start, grow, and prosper.
The Director, Workforce Development is responsible for advising on national human resource development strategies, providing recommendations, and proposing programs aimed at overcoming challenges in developing highly trained, skilled, and available workforce in the ocean sector. The Director, Workforce Development maintains strong partnerships with internal and external partners and demonstrates creativity and resourcefulness in identifying and securing the resources to ensure the efficient and effective execution of all workforce development initiatives. This includes but is not limited to customized training and programs for business and industry, non-profit and government sectors, regional workforce development programs, professional/career training programs, educational institutes and organizations, and COVE. The Director will conduct and oversee the necessary research, communications, and continuous improvement activities to position COVE as a thought leader within the sector.
COVE seeks a highly skilled Director who will be an active member of the Senior Leadership Team, providing expertise and advice in positioning the organization for success. We are looking for a self-starter, capable of providing top quality services in the development of new programs. You possess excellent communication skills (verbal and written) and can work in a diverse and dynamic environment. As the ideal candidate, you will develop and carry out outreach efforts with confidence and are flexible and able to respond quickly and positively to opportunities. Your interpersonal skills ensure you can maintain strong partnerships, and your resourcefulness allows for efficient and effective delivery of all workforce development activities. You have strong problem-solving skills and are highly analytical, detail-oriented, outcome-driven and organized. This position will report to the CEO and will have one direct report.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 10 years’ experience in a similar role and will be able to demonstrate their ability to fulfill the responsibilities outlined below:
- Managing all projects relating to learning, training, and workforce development, including workforce and ocean literacy research.
- Proposing, developing, and overseeing customized training and programs. This involves managing program effectiveness, procurement of training, and continuous improvement to high-value training.
- Establishing partnerships and managing stakeholders leading to best-in-class workforce development practices. This includes equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Promoting career opportunities in the ocean sector for youth, mid-career professionals, and under-represented groups fostering a diverse workforce.
- Contributing professional experience in the design, development, and implementation of programs to address current workforce issues and environment, and emerging/future workforce needs.
- Collaborating with Senior Leadership to anticipate needs, gather requirements and benchmark industry trends and best practices in training and development.
- Representing and promoting COVE by serving on task forces, committees, and at events.
- Developing proposals and procuring funding for all relevant programs and projects to achieve revenue goals.
- Budget responsibility for all workforce development initiatives (i.e. Internship pilots, maker workshops and teacher development, etc.).
- Developing annual and other technical reports as they relate to workforce initiatives, and progress reporting to funders.
- Participating in Senior Leadership meetings to manage operational performance, program effectiveness, recruitment strategies, professional development, and succession planning.
- Contribute to communications and marketing planning and COVE’s overall strategic direction.
- Supervising and directing staff and consultants relating to workforce development initiatives and programs.
- Adhering to COVE’s human resource policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Degree in Education, Human Resources, Management, or a closely related field or a combination of education and experience preferred.
- At least 10 years’ experience, including supervisory responsibilities, and a verifiable track record relating to workforce development activities.
- Experience in developing and maintaining strong working relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Experience in facilitation combined with advanced presentations skills to stakeholders, including senior executives.
- Proven track record in planning, implementing, and managing multiple projects.
- Demonstrated history of success in leading change and talent development programs.
- Experience in the ocean sector and/or any relevant marine or technology-based industry.
- Ability to speak a second language with a strong preference for French.
- Certificates and/or experience in equity, diversity and inclusion programs and policies.
- Qualitative research skills.
COVE is an equal opportunity employer. You can find out more information about COVE at www.coveocean.com. Salary for this position will be commensurate with experience, note that relocation costs are not supported.
To be considered for this position, please apply to email@example.com. The deadline for submission is 3:00 pm, January 28, 2021. We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.