Each year MTS awards significant scholarship funding to senior high school, undergraduate, and graduate students who are accepted into or enrolled in full-time marine-related programs (with a focus on marine technology, marine engineering, or marine science).
MTS is also offering the Emerging Leaders in Marine Technology Program (EMERGE) designed to give undergraduate and graduate students as well as early career ocean professionals (ECOPs) a guided program to enhance their professional development and networking experience at OCEANS Conferences.
To make a donation to MTS scholarships, MTS EMERGE Program, or for more information, contact Monica Ostrander at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Eligibility for Scholarships
- Applicant must be an MTS member (student memberships cost $25 per year).
- Applicant must be a full-time graduate or undergraduate student currently enrolled full-time in a 2-year or 4-year marine studies program (or a high school student who has been accepted into a full-time marine studies program).
- Students who received a scholarship the previous year cannot apply for the same scholarship the following year.
Eligibility for EMERGE
- Post-secondary students (e.g., undergraduate, graduate, PhD) and ECOPs (i.e., no more than 10 years from your last degree) that are current MTS members (student memberships cost $25 per year; ECOP memberships cost $50 per year).
- We strongly encourage underrepresented members of the marine technology community to apply.
- Participation in the EMERGE program requires attendance at the OCEANS conference. All student and ECOP participants applying to the program must get approval from their advisor (students) or employer (ECOPs) that they will be able to attend.
MTS Scholarship applications are due by April 15 in each year.
Additional required materials for scholarships
Be sure to read the complete eligibility requirements for each scholarship. All applicants are required to upload and submit the following forms with the scholarship application:
Applicants for the John C. Bajus scholarship are also required to submit the following:
Applicants should print and complete these materials prior to applying for an MTS scholarship.
Applicants must also submit official transcripts. High School Seniors must submit an acceptance letter for their ongoing program.
Scholarships Available to MTS Student Members
John C. Bajus Scholarship – $1,000
Open to MTS members who are college undergraduates and graduate students currently enrolled full-time in a marine-related field who have shown a commitment to community service and/or volunteer activities. Please download this service verification form to submit with your materials.
Dieter Family Scholarship – $1,500 (up to)
Open to MTS members that are college undergraduate or graduate students currently enrolled full time in a marine-related field. Full student registration and UP TO $1500 for travel-related expenses to a MTS/IEEE Oceans Conference. Winners are strongly encouraged to volunteer while at OCEANS. Winners will be required to submit an expense report with all receipts to ensure the money was used properly. Final approval will be determined by the MTS office.
The Paros-Digiquartz Scholarship – $2,000
Open to MTS members with an interest in marine instrumentation who are undergraduate or graduate students currently enrolled full time in an academic institution.
Charles H. Bussmann Undergraduate Scholarship – $2,500
Open to MTS members who are college undergraduate students currently enrolled full-time in a marine-related field.
Charles H. Bussmann Graduate Scholarship – $2,500
Open to MTS members who are college graduate students currently enrolled full-time in a marine-related field.
Requirements and Evaluation Criteria
Each scholarship has a different set of criteria. Please review the criteria for the scholarship to which you are applying. In most cases, you’ll need to submit an application, reference(s), a recommendation letter and a certified transcript. All applications and supporting documents must be submitted/postmarked by the deadline. The review committee will use a rubric to evaluate the scholarship applications in late spring/early summer.
Transcripts: Please remember, only official sealed transcripts or Certified Electronic Transcripts are accepted. The Certified Electronic Transcript must be emailed to email@example.com by the school registrar’s office. Please note, the transcript cannot be a scanned copy converted into a PDF, it must be a Certified Electronic Transcript or an Official sealed transcript.
For more information about the application process, view the Frequently Asked Questions.