Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
COVE is expanding rapidly, and we are continuing to build our team to support our transformative impact on the marine sector. With over 60 companies on site and its global network of 2,000+ organizations that are engaged in ocean tech, it is on the precipice of becoming a global centre of excellence for industry-led innovation. We know our journey is only achievable by having a great team that shares ideas, tries new things, and learns as we go.
As the Director of Innovation, you will lead and direct the development of on-shore and off-shore infrastructure to support client commercialization efforts and meet COVE’s objectives. You will inform COVE’s strategic direction and are essential to effectively delivering projects within COVE’s programs, sharing your technical knowledge. As part of your leadership, you will be responsible for scoping and preparing project proposals and securing new contracts to support the advancement of innovative, technical projects that will serve to enable the development of new products and services in the marine sector. With your strong communication and project management skills, in-depth technical knowledge and creative mindset, you will have the ability to supervise other professionals. The Director will be effective at technical and business management, familiar with specific industry players and market trends and thrive in a growth-oriented organization.
What you will be doing:
- Seeking out and scoping technical opportunities for COVE and new partnership opportunities. This involves synthesizing market intelligence and technology trends while fostering concepts derived from trusted relationships with COVE companies and stakeholders.
- Drafting project plans, identifying dependencies and risks, and establishing baselines for schedule, scope, and cost.
- Preparing formal project proposal submissions to ensure projects are funded and resourced.
- Providing efficient and effective project management for highly technical engineering projects to meet or exceed performance objectives. Initial projects are expected to include Digital Harbour and Marine Electrification Centre of Innovation, among others.
- Defining, tracking and reporting performance to key performance indicators and technical reports for internal and external audiences. Proposing mitigation plans if not on target and analyzing data, and creating models to support project management.
- Building relationships with partner organizations to ensure engagement and participation in COVE projects.
- Representing and promoting COVE and providing presentations on behalf of COVE.
- Managing budgets for individual projects and meeting revenue and profit objectives for the overall body of projects managed by the Director of Innovation.
- Engaging project teams, including team participants that are not direct reports and/or that are with external organizations.
- Contributing to a strong team environment by assisting teammates in accomplishing mutual goals and supporting the overall positive team culture of the organization.
- Occasional travel within Canada and internationally.
What you will bring:
- Degree in Engineering (P. Eng), or Graduate degree in Science or other relevant discipline(s).
- 7-10 years of relevant experience
- Experience in the marine sector and/or a relevant technology-based industry.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize risk and proactively mitigate.
- Experience in developing and maintaining strong working relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Experience in facilitation combined with excellent client-facing communication skills and comfort in presenting to stakeholders, including senior executives.
- Advanced personal time management skills with a proven track record in planning, implementing and managing multiple projects.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
Nice to have:
- Certification in Project Management and/or PMP designation.
Working at COVE
Our team is passionate about supporting marine tech innovators and are tireless champions for every innovator that comes through our doors. We value integrity, creativity, and diversity, and we thrive as part of an integrated team that revels in delivering results. Diversity in the people we hire is essential for truly collaborative work and for the impact we are accountable for in the community we serve. We foster a workplace where individual differences are recognized, appreciated, and respected to fully develop and utilize each person’s talents and strengths. We operate a hybrid and flexible work environment to support the best results from our highly collaborative team.
- Opportunity to learn and make an impact by working for a dynamic, growing company on meaningful projects that finds solutions to real-life problems.
- Vacation, personal days, and sick time
- Hybrid remote work policy (1-2 days/week) and flexible work hours
- Team wide bonding activities and casual work environment
- Tech-focused office location, convenient via transit and bike paths and free parking
- Full medical & dental benefits, including a health spending account
- Group RRSP matching program & Income Insurance Plans
- Opportunities for professional development
- Competitive salary
Don’t meet every single requirement? At COVE, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role, but your past experience doesn’t align with every single qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
We are committed to ensuring accommodations are made available to persons with disabilities during the recruitment, assessment and selection processes and will provide reasonable accommodation upon request.
We offer an excellent working environment where life balance is valued. Our people and their commitment to quality work is what drives our success. You can find out more information about COVE at www.coveocean.com . Salary for this position will be commensurate with experience, note that relocation costs are not supported.
To be considered for this position, please apply online by clicking “Apply”. The deadline for submission is 5:00pm, October17, 2022. We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.