As a seasoned professional who is a strategic and innovative thinker, the Controller will oversee the financial performance of COVE and related programs and participate in the management team. This role includes the development of financial and operational strategy, metrics tied to that strategy, contract management, and the ongoing development and monitoring of control systems designed to preserve company assets and report accurate financial results.
With a focus on sound business practices and fundamentals, the Controller uses their strong technical and analytical skills with the instinctive ability to produce accurate and timely financial reporting. They are reliable and have the highest level of integrity establishing trust with stakeholders and clients. A strategic thinker and change agent who is creative and solutions oriented and possess the ability to work cross functionally within the organization.
In this role, as a member of the management team, you will lead and mentor the financial team while reporting to the CFO & VP of Operations and will be responsible for managing the financial strategy for the organization.
What you will be doing:
- Prepare annual budgets (operating and capital), financial reporting by project, financial forecasts, financial statements, cashflow analysis, and ensuring the organization’s financial integrity.
- Prepare period-end financial reporting and working documents.
- Maintain the integrity of the accounting system and inputs.
- Understand, implement, and monitor an adequate control environment.
- Manage client and stakeholder relations.
- Supervise the finance team.
- Liaise regularly with funders, vendors, clients, legal representation, auditors, and financial institutions.
- Oversee external audit and tax compliance functions.
- Assess the financial risks of new opportunities (i.e. new projects, investments, acquisitions and/or funding applications).
- Contribute to the coordination of the data management information system (CRM).
- Review all agreements and legal contracts to ensure compliance with all policies, regulations, and laws, and analyzing potential risks. Monitor extensions, close-outs, or renewal of agreements.
- Maintain records and filing systems for future reference on existing and new contracts, bids, and proposals.
- Administer and oversee the administration of payroll and benefits.
- Manage corporate compliance of all corporate and financial policies and regulations.
What you will bring:
- CPA designation
- 7 – 10 years of progressive experience
- Proven ability to work independently with minimal supervision, creatively and analytically in a problem-solving environment demonstrating teamwork, innovation, and excellence.
- Experience drafting and submitting budget proposals and recommending subsequent changes where necessary.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize risk and proactively mitigate it.
- Experience drafting and editing contracts; ensuring the accuracy, efficiency, and relevance of all contracts; and working with all parties to ensure understanding and compliance.
- Detail-oriented individual with strong organizational skills.
- Experience managing people and working with senior leadership.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Advanced personal time management skills with a proven track record in planning, implementing, and managing multiple projects with the ability to meet deadlines.
- Self-motivated with the ability to adapt to change and competing demands.
- Deep understanding of contracts, contractual language, and contract governance.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Additional credentials such as an MBA is desirable.
- Experience in the Not-for-Profit sector
- Exposure to the marine industry is an asset
Working at COVE
Our team is passionate about supporting marine tech innovators and are tireless champions for every innovator that comes through our doors. We value integrity, creativity, and diversity, and we thrive as part of an integrated team that revels in delivering results. Diversity in the people we hire is essential for truly collaborative work, and for the impact we are accountable for in the community we serve. We foster a workplace in which individual differences are recognized, appreciated, and respected to fully develop and utilize each person’s talents and strengths. We operate a hybrid and flexible work environment to support the best results from our highly collaborative team.
- Opportunity to learn and make an impact by working for a dynamic, growing company on meaningful projects that finds solutions to real-life problems.
- Vacation, personal days, and sick time
- Hybrid remote work policy (ability to work up to 2 days per week remotely) and flexible work hours
- Team wide bonding activities and casual work environment
- Tech focused office location, convenient via transit and bike paths and free parking
- Employee wellbeing including full medical & dental benefits and a health spending account
- Group RRSP matching program & Income Insurance Plans
- Learning and growth opportunities
- Employee recognition program
- Employee referral program
- Competitive salary
Don’t meet every single requirement? At COVE, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role, but your past experience doesn’t align with every single qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
We are committed to ensuring accommodations are made available to persons with disabilities during the recruitment, assessment and selection processes and will provide reasonable accommodation upon request.
We offer an excellent working environment where life balance is valued. Our people and their commitment to quality work is what drives our success. You can find out more information about COVE at www.coveocean.com . Salary for this position will be commensurate with experience, note that relocation costs are not supported.
To be considered for this position, please apply online by clicking “Apply”. The deadline for submission is 5:00 pm, May 3, 2023. We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.